Maus

I ended up reading through the entirety of Maus. I found it too be not enjoyable, but important and well done. I almost don't think something with a subject as dark as the holocaust really should be enjoyable anyways. It's a somber account of an important event more then marketable entertainment like a lot of the comics we have read. The use of animals I thought was an interesting choice. I noticed every animal had an obvious meaning like cats and mice or were associated with a stereotype, kind of a bold move to decide polish people are pigs. I didn't think the choice to use animals took away at all from the story though. If anything the simple animals are easier to project onto then realistic faces. I think that is especially a good thing in a story were you want to sympathize with the characters as much as possible.

Though here were a surprising amount of moments that I didn't like the main characters at all, mostly Art's father. I wouldn't imagine a story showing a holocaust survivor in a complex and flawed way but it is interesting and I'm glad it was included. I think most people can relate to having a parent or grandparent who has been through terrible things and seems to not forgive you for not experiencing the same, or is just stubborn and racist. It was interesting to see someone shown so honestly and I think it just helped him feel more real.

Comments

Popular Posts