Renma

I looked forward to reading this one because I know I read it as a kid. I was a big fan of the author a long time ago- since I was very into Inuyasha. Back in the secretly watching adult swim at 2 am days. I have forgotten pretty much anything to do with this comic including what the story was, so I'm glad I got to experience it completely fresh. It has that same dynamic of Inuyasha so far- girl exasperated with overly blunt and quick to fight guy. I have to say I am not complaining though, it is a fun character relation even if some of the gags like the girl throwing things or calling the guy a pervert for no reason kind of get old. It makes moments where both stubborn parties actually bond all the more rewarding at least. I also really thought the concept was unique and could possibly even be progressive. It asks some interesting questions about gender and sexuality, the fact that the main "boy'" in the story can switch between genders. It calls into question if gender or biological sex actually always matters in a relationship, why we have different notions of both gender and makes me wonder if possibly accepting Renma as "half girl" makes Akane bisexual. Even if it is presented in a quirky and humorous way Takahashi must have known these questions are natural to ask while reading.

Comments

Popular Posts