Barefoot Gen

Barefoot Gen had been on my reading list for a long time, so I thought this presented a good opportunity to pick it up. I knew it was very well regarded as an important world war two autobiography within manga and anime circles. I had seen Grave of the Fireflies already and have seen the two compared a lot. I think things like this are just so important for us to read. As heart wrenching as it is we have to remind ourselves that these things have happened. Especially as the last few remaining victims of these tragedies pass away. Sometimes I think we have to face this terrible reality, to make sure we don’t forget and don’t let others forget.
 I was surprised to find that this manga wasn't only tragedies though. It went through lots of daily anecdotal events and let you first grow attached to the family. The kids are funny with hearts of gold, and even though they suffer greatly we still see them play like normal little boys. It is only natural to end up seeing little cousins and siblings in them. It makes it all the more harrowing when they die and go through unimaginable suffering. Normally reading like this I can at least have some comfort knowing they are fictional, but here I am reminded that this is very real. It makes me angry for them and even angrier than before at people I know who still insist the bomb was justified.

Comments

Popular Posts