Lumberjanes

I was really excited to see Lumberjanes as an option to read for women and comics week. I am a really big fan of the She-ra reboot done by Noelle Stevenson. I love the complex characters and lesbian representation most in it and was hoping for that here. What I read of Lumberjanes had a completely different vibe but thats alright. It is fun and lighthearted, a lot more cheerful and goofy. Maybe it has younger target audience then She-ra but I don't know if many younger kinds read comics. Either was it made me smile and I can tell it is building up to more in depth backstories with small hints that characters struggle with family problems. Usually peppered between strange fight scenes and comical moments. I hope to keep reading it and see if the tone stays consistent. I trust the author to handle it well even if things do shift.
I was also really glad to still see lgbt representation in the story almost right off the bat. It feels nice to see two girls kiss in a story I believe is meant for general audiences without making a big deal of it. I hope it helps kids, and inspires me to make work that I think would impact lgbt youth.

Comments

Popular Posts