Persepolis

Persepolis is a comic I'd only read excerpts of until now but I always thought what I did read really made me think. Im very glad I have read the whole thing now. Even though a lot of quotes from it- for example the part where she says she "wanted to be justice, love the wrath of God all in one" are very powerful on their own I like it even better in context. Then we don't just have these things as singular statements, but they are attached to a character. Who I found was a lot more angry and brash then I think I ever was as a kid but I still found myself relating to her a lot, or sympathizing with her struggles. I can understand art school and relationship issues like a lot of other people can but her unique view being from an area I think the west mystifies and demonizes adds another layer.

My favorite scene from the book and movie is when she snaps at her friend in a bar. I love how she articulated something I never had been able to myself until then, essentially. Fuck you, getting to have a completely nihilistic world view shows you come from a place of privilege and disregard other people for an edgy agenda. So many moments like that are in this, just little things put into words I didn't have before.

Comments

Popular Posts